[Related] Is there a good reviewer/blog/website you folks use to follow
releases of Chinese, Korean and Japanese movies in one place?
Thanks,~ash

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:23:18 -0800
From: divyasamp...@yahoo.com
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Subject: Re: [silk] Chinese martial arts movies

From: Ashwin Kumar ashwi...@gmail.com wrote:

I watched another Donnie Yen movie recently, the animation-adaptation flick
Dragon Tiger Gate. It's high on martial arts but low on storyline (too many
plots for a 2 hour movie).

Ip Man is going on my to watch list.

Not a martial arts movie, but excellent nonetheless -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Arrows - War of the Arrows.

Dragon Tiger Gate is an adaptation of a popular comic book - they tried to cram
about 5 volumes worth of manhua story into the movie - which accounts for the
multiple characters and storylines. All things, considered it was a pretty
decent adaptation. If you like comic book adaptation fantasy wuxia movies, try
out the older 1998 Storm Riders, and its 2009 sequel, Storm Warriors.

I saw War of the Arrows last year - nicely understated historical drama. More
Korean historical fare: I recently watched 2012's Gwanghae: The Man Who Became
King/Masquerade recently - it's inspired by the Prince and the Pauper/The
Prisoner of Zenda. Competent, great production values, but not terribly
memorable, though I gather it's a huge hit.

cheers
Divya