On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are some of the stops in a walk around Mylapore and George Town that I
> should not miss?
>
> Here is a tentative plan I have in mind:
>
> 1. Mylapore
>
> Jannal Kadai vadais and bajjis - 4ish PM to about 8ish PM.
Rose milk at the corner of East Mada Street and South Mada Street
Walk around Chithra kulam and go to Karneeswarar Temple.
Stop to point out the name board that is the last surviving mention of the
road's original name: Brodie's Castle Road. This is on a house opposite the
Tank bus stop, actually across the road from the Petrol station.

That house has a whole lot of history associated with it. Including a visit
by a certain Swami Vivekananda

> 2. George Town
> Start with some talk about the architecture of colonial buildings on drive
> to George Town (point to Ripon Building, Central Station, Southern Railways
> Building, etc. along the way)

Ripon Building is on probably not George Town anymore. It's Periamet.
Central is in Park Town (because it used to be called People's Park - an
actual park that once housed the Madras Zoo before it - the zoo - moved to
Vandalur, and was created when Hog's Hill (Panri Medu) was razed down as it
was in the line of sight between Fort and the sea to the south.)

SR HQ is the start of Sowcarpet/George Town.

Between the Central station and SR HQ is the Wall Tax road, because the
Govt raised a tax to build a wall to keep the blacks out of the White town.

And, if you are in George Town, how, how, HOW CAN YOU NOT GO TO FORT St.
GEORGE?

http://about.me/chandrachoodan

+447594553053