The final census data is out anytime now.time
For a hackathon?silklisters arise!!

Naresh Narasimhan
Sent from my Phone

> http://ashokarao.com/2013/04/15/is-south-india-really-richer/
>
> Is South India Really Richer? | This is Ashok.
>
> That South India is more developed than the Hindi-speaking North is a common
> refrain. Literacy rates and per capita income generally bear this out.
> Indeed, we worry of the barren villages in Bihar, not fertile landscapes
> across Tamil Nadu. As per the Human Development Indices across India, the
> South is just over 25% ahead of the All-India average.
>
> And yet, the story is false. Or so is my conclusion after running into a few
> “Data Stories” of India (looks like Tyler Cowen is interested, too). While
> the maps give breathtaking life to the real depth of poverty across India,
> there are fairly rigorous analytics to vindicate my point. While the
> commonly-used GINI measure of inequality is very intuitive, it’s handcuffed
> by its inability to decompose the inequality with certain subgroups. A more
> appropriate measure is the Theil Index, which I talk about in a recent blog
> post:
>
> The math behind the measure (between 0 and 1) requires a fair understanding
> of information theory but the idea is lower index implies a higher economic
> “entropy”.
>
> Your physics teacher might tell you that this is a bad thing but,
> economically, it’s a little more complex. As Boltzmann showed, entropy
> increases as predictability of an event decreases. This means the entropy of
> a fair coin is higher than a biased one. Similarly, in a very equal economy
> it is very difficult to distinguish between two earners based only on their
> income. Indeed in a perfectly equal society this is impossible. However, as
> society stratifies itself, knowledge of ones income conveys far more
> information (redundancy), thereby decreasing entropy.
>
> Within a system, Theil makes it easy for econometricians to understand the
> amount of total inequality due to within-group inequality and across-group
> inequality. If this is a little hard to grasp, think about it this way. If
> the total differences in economic output remained constant between countries
> (that is, India is still poor and Norway rich) but income was equally
> distributed within each country the residual inequality would be the
> “across-country” inequality. The residual from the converse, where all
> countries remain as unequal as they were, but world economic output is
> distributed equally to countries (not people), represents the
> “within-country” inequality.
>
> And the same reasoning can be scaled-down to consider inequality within and
> across Indian states. And this is just what a few researchers from the
> University of Texas did. Before we discuss this, it’s worth considering what
> high” decomposed, across-state inequality is. A good benchmark is definitely
> America. While the Northeast and California are generally considered to be
> richer than the rest, the real turmoil of inequality – at least the public’s
> [...]

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies and the original message. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, distribution, forwarding, printing or copying of this
e-mail or attachment(s) in this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.