On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Shyam Sunder <shyam.sun...@peakalpha.com>
wrote:

> Index funds are a great idea ... in the US. A lousy idea in India. ICICI
> Prudential fund recently shared that a 100% of their funds beat the
> benchmark index. Fund managers in India compete with each other, not with
> the index. Beating the Index here is a given. (Why so is a much longer
> discussion.)

Actually not true. Depends on what your benchmark indices are, and in many
cases, these indices are not the Sensex or Nifty. And even if you do beat
these carefully and specially selected ready-to-be-beaten indices, you're
not alone:
http://www.livemint.com/r/LiveMint/Period1/2014/03/08/Photos/w_money-lead2.jpg

More importantly, you need to do it AFTER you cut management fees - and
when you take out that 2% a year compounded, then none of these guys beat
the indices over a sustained period of time.

> Regarding DIRECT mode, as lawyers say, anyone who argues his own case has
> a fool for a lawyer.

Wow. Such hubris. As though managing investments in stocks "should be
something left to the professionals" :-)

You must say this to Buffet, Pabrai, Jhunjhunwala and others, just to get a
reaction :-)

> There is a substantial difference in performance between the best and the
> worst funds.

This seems to fly in the face of your own logic that one should always buy
a professionally managed fund :-)

> By the same principle, "never touch it until retirement" is okay if you
> don't have the time, will and skill or don't have access to a good advisor.
> Monitoring and maintaining the quality of your portfolio is essential.

Again, seems to fly in the face of the "pay some active professional
investor to manage your money" logic :-)

> Sorry folks, for suddenly waking up and bellowing, but this topic I seem
> to have acquired a little knowledge about.

As they say about "a little knowledge" :-)