Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama by Daniel
Goleman

As a rationalist and skeptic, I had been extremely suspicious of "woo woo"
claims about meditation, but I was interested is Dan Goleman's research
into meditation and stress and I was intrigued by the "scientific dialog"
claim. I was reading along with a rather skeptical attitude when I ran
across a chapter talking about an experiment that Paul Ekman did with a
trained meditator, in which he suppressed his startle reflex. That should
not be possible! Digging further I discovered that meditation does seem to
have objective measurable effects and I now meditate daily. Because of this
book.

-- Charles