Statistical Metalinguistics and Zipf/Pareto/Mandelbrot
<http://www.csl.sri.com/users/neumann/#12a>I frequently see cryptic
references to the magic of Zipf or Pareto or Mandelbrot, with reference to
linguistic and other structures, and sometimes in the context of 80-20
rules relating to almost anything. (See Note.)

There is no surprise at all in the Zipf/Pareto/Mandelbrot theories once you
understand that each formula can be derived mathematically. In 1959, my old
Russo-Belgian friend Vitold Belevitch [2 Mar 1921--*26 Dec 1999] (see On
the Statistical Laws of Linguistic Distribution, *Ann. Soc. Sci. Bruxelles
73,* III, 1959, 310-326) considered a wide class of more or less
well-behaved statistical distributions (normal or whatever), and performed
a functional rearrangement that represents the frequency as a function of
rank-ordered decreasing frequency, and then did a Taylor expansion of the
resulting formula. Belevitch's lovely result is that "Zipf's Law" follows
directly as the first-order truncation of the Taylor series. Furthermore,
"Mandelbrot's Law" (which seem even more curious and mysterious to most
people) follow immediately as the second-order truncation.
and this delightful tidbit later (possibly apropos the recent thread about
language and how we think)Multiply-Mixed Metaphor Mania

* Pandora's cat is out of the barn, and the genie won't go back in the
closet. [This polymorphic statement can be variously applied to
cryptography, export controls, viruses, spam, terrorism, outsourcing, and
many other issues.]

* It's like shooting a straw herring in midstream. [Straw men have a
difficult time catching red herrings!] An alternative version that I have
used is ``It's like flogging a straw herring in the foot.''

* In an article by John Schwartz in *The New York Times*, 30 Mar 2001, on
Internet technologies in business, reflecting on the acceleration being a
double-edged sword, I was quoted as saying, ``Many of the swords have more
than two edges -- sort of a Swiss Army Knife with the blades in upside
down, so that you keep cutting yourself on some of the implements whenever
you try to take one out.''
but really the whole thing <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/neumann> is just a
delight to read. Thank you Peter.

-- Charles