As far as I know, there is The Promise Foundation in Bangalore. Last I
checked (more than I year ago), they were providing books to govt. aided
schools with the funds received from large companies. I'm quite sure that
they're involved with the government as well. It's worth finding out.

http://www.thepromisefoundation.org/gi_ci.htm