On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:42 PM Venkatesh H R <hrvenkat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO
> There are 3 types of bookstores:
> 1. Big chain stories, like Crossword, landmark etc. Where you have
> best-seller lists, best fiction, best non-fiction so on. They're
> predictable places. I once visited Landmark in Chennai and bought some
> great stuff there. I remember finding a Matt Rees book there I hadn't found
> anywhere else.

Landmark was not always a chain. In their heyday (IMO, before they sold to
Tata and became a chain) they still had a superb selection.

> 2. Stores with haphazardly put together books. You need to search these
> stores for gems, but you'll definitely find them - like Blossom in B'lore,
> Midlands in Delhi, nagashri in B'lore, etc.

Blossoms was truly marvelous. The Chennai equivalent was the used bookstore
wallah in Luz corner.

> 3. Stores with carefully curated books. These, I find to be the best. Fact
> & Fiction was one such. The Bookshop in Delhi too, and maybe Lotus in
> Bombay at one point. Unfortunately these tend to be passion-driven,
> independent bookstores which don't make money. I miss them the most. Strand
> bookstore in NY is probably the last such big store anywhere in the world.

Bookbuyers - a used bookstore in downtown Mountain View (Udhay, remember
when I took you there?) was of a similar caliber.  Unfortunately, they have
recently had to move to the boondocks of Silicon Valley.

While we are on the topic of bookstores, other excellent bookstores that
come to mind:

1. Kinokunia's flagship store in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

2. Powells in Portland, Oregon

3. White Lotus press' bookstore on Sukhamvit road in Bangkok

Thaths