On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I occasionally listen to the Tim Ferris podcast, and I found last week's
> episode [1] particularly fascinating. It's a panel of people giving their
> take on the question "how does one decide when to quit and when to
> persist". I recommend listening to the episode, but my intention in posting
> here is to ask the community the same thing.
>
> How do *you* decide when to quit and when to persist?
>
> Udhay
>
> [1] https://tim.blog/2017/07/23/when-to-quit/

To float the thread out a bit, this has been on my mind lately in the
context of treating major illness. When does someone (or that someone's
caregiver) decide to quit the treatment? Is medical treatment of an illness
a process that must be done to the point where the ill person is suffering
terribly?

The question is further complicated by human equations and judgements. It's
all right if I myself make the decision to quit going to the doctors and
hospitals; but what if it's my family member who has to make the call, and
is considered to be cruel or uncaring in doing so?

I have a friend whose mother has refused  further treatment,but is
suffering immense pain. My friend and her family members are facing a lot
of criticism for "allowing" this...even when it's clear that it was the
mother who made the decision....and they are unable to be clear about
whether they are right in supporting the lady, or not. It's leading to
intense friction and trauma in the family relationships.

Deepa.