I’m a tad conflicted about consuming opposing viewpoints. While I try and
read a variety of sources, and will double check most stories of note,
there is a line I try not to cross. Because of a general distrust of
sources available to us, there seems to be a growing view that the average
must be true—and to that end, seeking out opposing extremes to balance out
that average. Major news outlets are hiring token people from “the other
side” to appear more balanced, and people want to read both sides to help
keep themselves balanced.

Except sometimes one side is very, very wrong. John Oliver did a bit about
this with climate science, showing that a one-on-one debate about whether
climate change is real simply does not represent the problem correctly.
There is a debate, it just needs to take some basics for granted before it
can be nuanced, and unfortunately “both sides have merit” often includes a
harmful view that doesn’t deserve the time.

I’ve recently become refamiliar with the saying “a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing”. More so in the format:
Those who know nothing think X
Those who know some things think Y
Those who know many things think X

We tend to be the first group about most subjects, and the second group
about some. And therefore many debates feel like they’re between people who
don’t know much except that they’re right, and those that seemingly know
more but have ended up with the wrong conclusion. And so I end up
conflicted about how to learn more without adding to the noise.

--
Cheerio,

Ashim D’Silva
Design & build