On Mar 13, 2018 12:28 PM, "Shrabonti Bagchi" <shrabont...@gmail.com> wrote:
[•••]

The Center for Humane Technology is a world-class team of former tech
insiders and CEOs who are advancing thoughtful solutions to change the
culture, business incentives, design techniques, and organizational
structures driving how *technology hijacks our brains.*

"technology hijacks our brains"

Technology cannot change human nature fundamentally. Sure, it can
accelerate and magnify some aspects of life, but usually only the crudest
expressions of human nature will be the first beneficiaries, because that
is what flowers easily. Sophistication and grace will always be in short
supply.

To break from technology for a moment...

Any country or a community moves forward only with a rise in consciousness
of everyone or at least their leaders.

The average Indian is more corrupt now than in the 80s - the greed, the
restlessness has all increased. I think there must be several sociological
studies on this, but it's a palpable effect for me. The decline in morality
of the political landscape is I think representative of this larger reality.

When I look at India's (or China or Egypt) past, I see tremendous examples
of leadership and awareness. Regardless of modern views on the caste
system, to create a pan Indian social order across many kingdoms, many
languages, many ethnicities, many cultures, many cuisines and languages
when communication was tricky to say the least is an act of magnificent
leadership. This may not stand  out on the horizon like the Giza pyramid or
Great Wall, but to mould human consensus and to preserve it for as long is
impossible by any modern leader. The leaders who made this are unknown but
their imprint on society remains.

The same with temple building, Kashi alone had 70,000 temples, big and
small built to a single plan. To harness the capital, to preserve the
social agreement needed to commit across several generations to complete a
single master plan is fantastic visionary leadership.

The rise of Individualism takes society back to the crudest because it
starts everyone on a journey of learning from their mistakes and the first
wave of individualism is going to be indulgence in base pleasures and short
term goals.

In ancient India or Egypt or China, it was enough if one or a few had a
grand vision, they could pull society towards this ideal through some
pressure - social, religious, or other. Now unless everyone is a visionary,
society has to fall to the average level of consciousness of the individual.

Our mobile phones and social media are individually tailored to suit our
preferences, amplifying our individualism, crafting a reality that is
comfortable to the individual for the short term.

Technology therefore isn't hijacking human nature, merely showing most of
us who we really are as individuals. Most of us aren't that great at
dealing with our temptations, our sense of self and the mental contents
that go into keeping it healthy.

In economics a similar strain of trouble is called the tragedy of the
commons. If everyone looks out for what is good for them, it affects social
order and then ultimately the individual.

Life has to be a little daunting, a little less accommodating of the
individual to benefit society, and indirectly keep the individual healthy.

I think bad memories of communism and fascism will mean no one willingly
gives up individualism, but sooner or later we will get pushed there by the
populist leaders we elect who give us our base desires in return for
greater power.

There will be a lot of turmoil awaiting if we think this is just about
technology.