I'm also curious to hear what any ChemE's might have to say. The process requires both lots of water and plenty of clean electricity, which might make it interesting[0] for my local hydro.

The Subject: line is already fairly optimistic: what I skimmed of the Cell paper only discusses isolating and concentrating CO2 from the atmosphere; generating synfuels from that no-chain-count feedstock is a separate[1] problem.

If I have my signs right, the calciner is the endothermic stage; I was amused by the introductory line:
In the 1960's, capture of CO2 from air was considered as a feedstock for producton of hydrocarbon fuels using mobile nuclear power plants

-Dave

[0] under the very large assumption that those producing the CO2 would be both willing and able to pay those extracting it? [1] one which was industrialised (at least for higher chain count precursors, eg. from coal) by the middle of last century, cf Bergius and Fischer-Tropsch.