Because a lot of my work is with young kids, it is actually surprising to
see how much email is actually used, but not for conversations. For a lot
of the 16-22 year olds that we we work with, email is home base. it serves
different purposes of notification, sign-ups, verifications, cloud storage,
and archiving, but not direct communication. So a lot of emailing is a
trigger action rather than information transfer. One of my PhDs calls this
an extended cybernetic loop without a closure, because emails are used to
direct attention and click on things. This does beggar the question of
where to people do long-form writing. And the only thing I can sense is
that they don't. If it is not going on a blog or on social media posts, it
is not going anywhere. Instead, different ideas seem to go on multiple
platforms, and surprisingly, emails sometimes become the consolidating
drivers that stitch them all together.

I, personally, just queer the thing by writing whatsapp messages that
scroll to an infinity and facebook posts which defy good advice of brevity
and ramble at will.

--
Dr. Nishant Shah (Ph.D.)
Director (Research), Centre for Internet and Society,Bangalore, India (