Coming from a different perspective, I'm suffering from empathy fatigue.

When you are (usually) empathetic to other people, you (usually) give others the benefit of the doubt, you (usually) try to see things from other people's point of view, you (usually) try to meet people halfway, you can run into some other issues.

Other people can expect you to always be the adult in the room, always make allowances for other people, and always take the high road while not expecting themselves to do any of those things.

After a time, you can come to feel that they are taking advantage of you, are, in fact, playing you for a fool. And you can decide that it is time to set some pretty firm boundaries, to stop being so accommodating and understanding, and not to always take the high road.

There are people who are operating in bad faith and whose views are genuinely morally repugnant. Trying to find common ground or common cause with them, will, alas, cause you to cede ground to them that you ought, for common decency, to stand firm on.

While I cannot approve of either physical or verbal violence, there does come a time when we have to stand up for our values.

There is undoubtedly good in every human being, but some people actively seek to do harm. Opposing them might be more important than understanding and trying to work with them.

In game theory terms, it's great if everyone cooperates, but you need a strategy to cope with serial defectors, too.