On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 08:34:05AM +0530, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
> Some spammer seems to have discovered the mailman instance that runs
> silklist. I am getting ~50 new member requests per day which I am manually
> deleting. FML.

Udhay,

Can it be done so that mailman says: "thank you, now please go to this
page so-an-so and complete the form, please copy the string from the
subject of this email into relevant input box or else your message
will not be processed". The page sends another email to list owner,
again with said string in a subject. Now all that is still needed is
to process your inbox with a bit of willpower and a shell script. In a
simplest incarnation, the script will show the strings which happened
in "Subject" line twice.

I am pretty sure the b*ts will go away. Or rather, your work with them
will go away. Human made script beats human made b?t.

It should be relatively simple to set up in user *unfriendly*
environments, because they were engineered to help solving problems in
easy way (and provide tools for this). I have never done such thing
but I am hopeful. It should be possible even if you use
user*-*friendly solutions, but in such case I am unhopeful, all bets
are lost and I would expect much more work - unless someone already
made a solution, and it can be downloaded and used fer freeah.

Tools beat solutions, for each species who can use tools. Evolution vs
devolution.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola