> From:          "It's not me" <rocke...@micron.net>
> To:            <silver-list@eskimo.com>
> Subject:       Re: silver and paramecium
> Date:          Mon, 17 Aug 1998 02:28:49 -0600

Hi Vern,
        I don't know. I do know with the slide I made, I put a drop of CS in
the water holding the paramecium, and I could see where the silver
traveled. It didn't disperse into the whole drop, but made a stream
through part of it. The paramecium would be moving very fast, and as
they hit the silver, they would usually come out of it, and them go
just a little way and come to a stop and die. From what I saw, I
don't think it would take a lot of CS to kill all the one celled
animals in the water, but it might take 5 or 10 minutes to do it if
you only put a small amount of silver in the water. I would think an
ounce would work for a 16 oz glass, but it might only take a
teaspoonful to do the same job, just take a bit longer to kill all
the bugs!
        I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you than that. If I get a
chance to check one of these days, I will try it out. I will try
getting a 16 ounce glass of pond water, and check it for "bugs" then
after I know for sure there are bugs, I will put a teaspoon of CS in
it and start checking it until I see no more activity from the bugs.
Now there seemed to be some type of bacteria in the water with the
paramecium that was not killed by the CS. I think these smaller
critters take longer to kill, but they might be less harmful to you,
but then again they might not be!
        Take Care!
        Jim