Hi Bill,

>  From what I've gathered, an incandescent bulb of a given
>  'milliamp rating' will act to self- limit its maximum
>  conducted current to that level.

Not true.  A bulb "milliamp" rating is simply the current that will flow
through the bulb at the manufacturer's specified voltage.  It will not
actually limit the current to that value or any value, so the higher the
voltage, the higher the current.  To limit the current to a known amount
requires an actual circuit designed for this purpose, a "current regulator"
or "current limiting" circuit.

Regards,
...Tom