Colin Quinney wrote:

> Hi Dee,
>
> We can remove the salt I think.
>
> That also brings up the topic of the relative concentrations of salt. I think different parts of oceans have different amounts of minerals, so it depends on which ocean or which part of an ocean you are in that determines the amount of salt. The Dead Sea has a very high concentration of salt. That product Concentrace with ~ 80 minerals comes from an old ocean bed in Utah (is that correct?) has only the salt (sodium chloride) removed, to I think maybe over 99% reduction of salt, but how that is achieved is a secret. Ok, probably not a secret, but I do not know how it's done. :)
>
> Hmmm.  How is the salt removed I wonder? With a filter? Or some kind of
electric process?

Maybe Marshall can give the scientific explanation, but it appears that sodium chloride crystallizes before many of the other salts. At least this is what I infer from the following information.

The process of removing sodium chloride from sea water and concentrating the remaining chemicals is used in the process of making nigari which is used for making tofu.

"Extracted from sea water by removing most or all of the sodium chloride and water, it contains primarily magnesium chloride plus all the other salts and trace minerals naturally found in sea water"

It appears that Concentrace may be equivalent to "natural" nigari and may be made in a similar manner. That being said, there are "processed" methods of extraction of magnesium chloride from seawater which may not be equivalent to Concentrace...

Dan

"Note: To make nigari dampen 5 pounds of sea salt with cold water. Tie dampened sea salt in a cloth sack and hang over a bowl in a cool dark place. The liquid that drips from the sack is nigari(sea brine). "

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Nigari.php

"Mitoku ""Bitterns"" Natural Nigari 1 lb."
In order to make tofu, the soy milk must be coagulated, using nigari. Natural nigari is derived from sea water and is the mineral-rich residue that slowly drips off moist sea salt and is then sun-dried. Mitoku Natural Nigari is made this traditional way and for centuries it has been recognized as being the very best coagulant for making homemade tofu. Nigari can also be added to water to make nigarisui, which is popular today in Japan for losing weight, purifying the skin, combating fatigue, stress, insomnia, constipation, colds and hang-overs. To make nigarisui dissolve 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Mitoku Nigari to 1 liter (33 oz.) of natural spring water, shake before drinking. Ingredients: magnesium chloride (a natural Japanese sea salt derivative). Mitoku Nigari is a natural, pure graded

$1.89

http://www.soyascan.com/HSS/tofu3.php

"after World War II only relatively refined grades of salt were sold in Japan so that small producers could not make their own nigari, as they once had done, by letting it drip from unrefined natural salt suspended in a sack."

http://www.soymilkquick.com/nigari.html

"Included within the discussion of the materials review of magnesium sulfate, considerable concern was raised about "nigari" or magnesium chloride, a substance used to coagulate soymilk in the production of tofu, specifically if it was currently being mislabeled as to the actual source used. Accordingly, the Processing, Handling, and Labeling Committee was charged to research nigari as well as natural and synthetic forms of magnesium chloride to report the group's recommendations as to whether these should or should-not be included on the National List. Our research includes the following:

In general, the confusion originates on the correct definition of "nigari', the traditional name used for the tofu coagulant made from salt water. Natural extracted nigari is the most traditional and one of the most natural coagulants for tofu. Extracted from sea water by removing most or all of the sodium chloride and water, it contains primarily magnesium chloride plus all the other salts and trace minerals naturally found in sea water, as well as twigs, sand, plankton, organic matter, etc. if not properly filtered. As most tofu shops have found natural nigari of questionable purity and sanitation, most prefer the refined form.

Chinese production of refined nigari continues to be extraction from sea water, available via two different extraction methods: 1) the ion-exchange process or 2) a method in which sea water is concentrated, filtered, bleached, and cooked to yield magnesium and natural salt. Most tofu producers in the U.S. use refined nigari processed according to the second method. Although from seawater, refined nigari must be classified as a synthetic due to the bleaching process in its manufacture Food grade magnesium chloride made in the U.S. is produced from the reaction between hydrochloric acid and magnesium. It, too, is a synthetic process, albeit very pure, sanitary, and safe to use. However, since the Chinese source is extracted from sea water, it appears that it remains “more natural” than U.S. food grade magnesium chloride."