sol wrote:
Seriously joking. I don't believe white vinegar is made from petroleum (unless it is imported from China, then I'd believe it)(though I guess just about anything *could* be made into vinegar), so far as I'm aware it is made from fermented grain, according to a google search the most common grain used is probably corn.

White vinegar is made from chemically produced acetic acid. There are a number of methods of producing acetic acid, which include both petroleum as well as fermented sugar feedstocks. It appears that most manufacturers use a fermented sugar feedstock. Now if you get apple cider vinegar, it will be using the bacteria conversion method of sugar, but white distilled could certainly be using petroleum feedstock.

Here are the methods of manufacture from http://www.indiainfoline.com/sect/chor/ch05.html

Manufacturing process

Oxidation process (from fermented alcohol)

In this, acetaldehyde derived from fermented alcohol is oxidized to produce acetic acid and acetic anhydride in 70:30 ratio. The process can be varied so as to produce 100% acetic acid.

Liquid phase oxidation process

There are two ways of producing acetic acid by this process.

First Methodology

In this process the oxidation of acetaldehyde takes place in a reactor. The end product contains acetaldehyde and acetic acid.

Pure acetic acid is then recovered whereas unconverted acetaldehyde is recycled.

Second Methodology

This process involves simultaneous production of acetic acid and acetic anhydride.

On using copper catalysts, water that is produced hydrolyses acetic acid. There can be variations regarding the ratio of acetic acid and acetic anhydride required to be produced.

Methanol carbon monoxide method (petroleum method)

Carbon monoxide is made to react with methanol. This results in the formation of crude acetic acid. This is purified and dehydrated into acetic acid.

This process requires heavy capital expenditure and installation of huge capacities.

All manufacturers use acetaldehyde as major feedstock with the exception of GNFC, which uses methanol.

Marshall