Older Japanese people strongly believe in the power of "haragei," which might be loosely translated as "stomach mind" or something along those lines. I once read a fascinating English language book on this topic.

Young Japanese seem to know nothing about it this idea. I've asked on several occasions and get blank stares usually.

Just checking now, I am surprised to find something about on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haragei

Still learning more about this myself, but it may be connected to your idea.