From: "Tad Winiecki" <winie...@pacifier.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: CS>WorstPills.org -

Thanks, Paula, I had a problem because I clicked on a link in the
beginning.    My father had Parkinson's and tried an unapproved drug I
think from Europe that I believe was Elavil.  He started having
delusions and hallucinations that lasted the rest of his life.  He
would see little green men with strange communication devices and call
the military, the police, etc.  He would get angry when other people
couldn't see them too.  He made life miserable for my mom.  He couldn't
remember who she was and would call the police and say a strange woman
was at his house.

Right after he died my mother was having terrible diarrhea problems.
My doctor sister was there for the funeral and wanted her to go right
in for a Barium enema GI scan.  I asked if she had started any new
medications and she had just been given a new prescription for an
arthritis medicine.  I looked at the side effects list and one was
uncontrollable diarrhea.  She stopped the medicine and the diarrhea
ended.  I could not believe my dr sister would not even consider this
possibility.

Later my mother was visiting another sister in NYC and took OTC cough
medicine with the since much publicized ingredient that causes strokes.
  She suffered a stroke and my dr. sister insisted she come to Texas to
let her help her.  She put her on a number of nasty meds one of which
is Imiodarone which is spoken of on the Worst Pills site, and another
also nasty one I don't remember which causes short term memory loss,
confusion and anxiety.  These treat atrial fibrillation.  My mom is
turning 90 this month but can't remember more than the past 5 minutes.
Talk about living in the present.  She can't even really carry on a
conversation of any duration, she will start repeating the whole thing.
  We had a reunion of all sibs, of course in short order she can't
remember it even occurred.

And my dr sister can't understand my prejudice against dr's.  I'm
grateful for this list and other alternative lists that provide real
answers and help.

Nancy