The original term was the Mho. Yes, Ohm spelled backwards. In nineteen seventy one the unit was redesignated the Siemen in recognition of the work of Ernst Werner von Siemens. I always thought spelling Ohm backwards to indicate the reciprocal of the unit was a neat thing. No disrespect for Ernst intended.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Nave" <na...@comcast.net>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: CS>Measuring concentrations

Siemens in the unit used to designate "Electrical Conductance."

This is the reciprocal (1/unit) of the "Ohms" unit which indicates "Electrical Resistance."

So:  siemens = 1 / ohms

micro siemens = siemens / 1,000,000

also

micro siemens = 1,000,000 / resistance

micro siemens may be written uS

Dan

Clayton Family wrote:
I bought a COM 100 meter from silverpuppy.com. It measures the electrical conductivity of the water, in micro Seimans. The u is a symbol for micro, I guess it is the closest a keyboard can come to the tiny little itty bitty m. The com 100 will tell what the conductivity is, which is pretty close to the ppm (parts per million).