From: M. G. Devour [mailto:mdev...@eskimo.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 3:27 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Distiller Idea? Was: Waterwise Non-Electric Distiller

Silvia writes:
> Has anyone used this unit to make their distilled water?
> http://www.canningpantry.com/waterwise-1600.html  If so what were the
> pros and cons?

That's an interesting item, Silvia. Too bad we don't have anybody with
experience with it. I'd be interested, too.

I'd recently thought about building some kind of stove-top distiller,
since natural gas is still relatively cheap and I could keep it running
on the stove most days. We're spending a buck a gallon for distilled
and go through 20 gallons a month or more.

I wonder if the 16 gallon stock pot with glass lid I saw at the store
the other day would be useful as a distiller? I could invert the domed
glass lid, moving the knob to the "wrong" side and put a collection
vessel inside on top of a wire grate or metal stand. The steam should
condense on the lid and run down into the collector.

There's a small vent hole in the lid. I expect at least some of the
volatiles would escape through the vent. If the collection vessel
overflows, no big deal. I'd want the collector to have a wire handle on
it, like the kind on a paint bucket, so I could lift it out with a hot
mitt and pour off the contents... maybe a teapot?

Hmmm... sounds like a $50 project versus a $350 product.

Comments or suggestions anyone?

Mike D.