That's what you use the slivers for, you know, those that are too little to actually use but they clog the drain if you slip. Frugal people collect them to cook down.

Here's (link below) where I first read about it. Dr Gott is syndicated in lots of the USA. He's popularized using Vicks Salve for toenail fungus as well as the soap slivers under sheets. He pretends to be openminded about alt modalities but not much.
When placebo effect works is it still a placebo?

Saralou
couldn't quickly find a site that archived all of Gott's columns but they're all over the net.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/pain/T70MLSPRHU9MJ7U1L/p9
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/976646/is_there_anything_vicks_vaporub_cant_do/index.html?source=r_health
http://www.mydr2.com/cgi-bin/english/fetch2.pl?refnum=827&querry=arthritis
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/02/22/lifestyle/columnists/doc45de14874893f558851795.txt

Marshall Dudley wrote:
Even harder to understand is how one could put a bar of soap under the sheet, and the person not notice it when sleeping on it.

Marshall

Dee wrote:
I cannot see how this can possibly work. What is the science behind it? Dee