Evening Steve,

>> Not to steal Wayne's thunder, here are my safety list for working on any electrical circuit:

  Of course not.  How can anyone have too much safety.

>>At 02:21 PM 9/11/2008, you wrote:

I was aware of everything you said, ......... I simply did not deduct that anyone here would be working with some of these things.

I have been shocked with 750 VDC. Only once, I did not stay connected long, it knocked me all
the way across the room.


I would be more concerned with Capacitors as to being a potentially fatal electrical component. Capacitors used in power supplies, especially, can hold charges for long periods of time (weeks and longer) even when the appliance is unplugged. Capacitors can even after being discharged re-energize to be a shock hazard, potentially injurious ones at that.

True indeed. I have some new capacitors, rated at 5000 V I think, and others that are the largest I have seen, other than coupling capacitors for power systems.

Likely you have seen them, Capacitor Rooms, ........ a room full of capacitors that make your hair stand up, even at the door. Not for the faint hearted.

You don't see Caps (as capacitors are sometimes called) in most Colloidal Silver Generators; you will see them used in high voltage devices.

The Secondary windings on transformers are the next most dangerous electrocution hazard (the device is plugged into an electrical outlet).

   Many do not understand that, of course.

Now, ......... how many Step Down Transformers, with the intended primary of 480 VAC, have you seen, that was connected backwards ? The 480 was connected to the secondary. This made the turns ratio reversed. Instead of the 480 being stepped down, it was in fact, stepped up.

That is a gosh awful situation. A man that worked for me, not as knowledgeable as he should be, tried to measure the output, .......... not knowing that the voltage was several thousand volts.

Of course the meter melted down, and went up in smoke.  The man was lucky.

Always beware of the people there before you.


I am personally more attentive (read afraid) of DC Voltages than AC. AC can hurt you, but DC grips onto until you are good and end. High Voltage, AC or DC, is best left to the trained professional.
    I am not afraid of any of them.   I did not say, ...... I have no respect.
I have high voltage probes, rubber gloves ( with leather on top of the rubber ) and have serviced and calibrated high voltage test equipment.

I stand on a rubber mat, touch nothing with the power applied, and I do discharge capacitors.

I connect services, with power on, directly from the pole. I did not say I like to do this or that
I do it often.  Only in rare cases, do I get backed into the corner.



A GFI (Ground Fault Indicator) outlet will trip with an AC fault or short and provide some protection against AC (think hair dryer or radio falling into a bathtub or sink), but a GFI provides no protection against DC shorts or faults. (No AC fault to trip the protection)
  You could have made the most important statement about them.
They offer protection from the Power Wire ( called HOT by some ) to the neutral, but offer zero protection from the power wire to ground. They could do both. Not sure why they are not designed to do so.

I have installed many of these in mission critical applications. Yes, I know the specifications of the devices.

Still, I built my own tester for GFCI's.   Recorded the results of every one.
And I looked forwarded to the day in court when I could make some attorneys look stupid.
I was READY !

Not to steal Wayne's thunder, here are my safety list for working on any electrical circuit:


Be my guest !   <grin>


1.  Do not work when you are Tired, Inebriated, or Upset.
2.  Remove all jewelry, including wedding rings.
3. Wear Rubber Sole Shoes. (A rubber mat in addition is smart when working on a cement floor.)
4.  Have the device on a wooden or other non conductive workbench.
5.  If you have long hair, tie it back
6.  Never trust an on/off switch, unplug from the outlet..
7. If you have to reach into the device when it is plugged in, keep one hand in your pocket. I also use rubber gloves (the thick type used for washing dishes). 8. A chopstick is better than a hand in most instances to "poke" around in the above case. 9. Wear Safety Goggles one soldering. Never Solder into a live (plugged in) Circuit. 9. Never work when distracted (TV show, Nagging spouse or kids, Talking on the Telephone).


  Very good, very good indeed.

I could add one more..........

If you do not understand "Ohms Law", ........  "do not play with
Ohms Law gadgets"

But the most Important rule is:
10. If you don't have a clue what you are doing, stop and find someone who does.
 It is cheaper in the long run. (Funerals can be quite expensive.)

    True indeed, but many will not do it.


Resistors and diodes threat vanishes (unless tied to a Cap) as soon as the power chord is removed from the outlet. We use to joke Resistors are more likely to be fatal if swallowed (choking hazard), diodes likewise.

The first sentence is of course true. But most of my reference and experience relates to device and circuits that are powered up 24/7 for years at a time. That changes many things.

There is a big difference as we know, between Intermittent duty and Continuous Duty.
That is another world and another book.

But I will proceed to prove, a resistor or a diode can blow up your car, burn your house down,
kill you in many ways,  crash an airplane, or sink a ship.

You would think I should say, "or the failure there of" but that is not always true.
Normal ( or nearly so ) operation can be hazardous as well.

Again, thanks, and glad to see some other safety comments.

Wayne

=======================




--
The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing Colloidal Silver.

Instructions for unsubscribing are posted at: http://silverlist.org

To post, address your message to: [email protected]

Address Off-Topic messages to: [email protected]

The Silver List and Off Topic List archives are currently down...

List maintainer: Mike Devour <[email protected]>