Interesting idea, Ken...

As for the taste of distilled water, I've been drinking the stuff from
the store, brought home in 2 1/2 gallon jugs, for a number of years. It
tastes much better than this, and actually quite good. It is steam
distilled and ozonated.

I wonder if I'm going to have to aerate it as Bob suggests, and maybe
even ozonate to get a similar good tasting product.

I know that distilled is hungry and will pick up anything in its
environment. I've believed that really pure water is basically without
taste.

No I don't have a good conductance meter, and my old TDS-1 is stashed
somewhere with no batteries. Reading with an ohm meter I get both tap
water and my "distilled" at about 600k and the bottled distilled at
about 8-900 k... They're not very steady readings so this is sort of
averaged by eye.

I need to look into filtering, while I continue to re-think the
mechanical design.

Thanks for the advice and ideas, folks.

Be well,

Mike D.