I would never use anything but an extra soft toothbrush on my teeth, brushing up in the direction I want the gums to go. Some years back, I tried a medium toothbrush for only 6 months, and just using that hard of a brush eroded my teeth a great deal, and gave me recessed gums. You can even just use your finger to clean your teeth, using a very mild non abrasive toothpase, swishing water around fiercely to clean between the teeth, and of course there is always floss. I have heard enamel can be rebuilt , it needs calcium etc to be in the mouth. I think there are even formulas now for strengthening enamel. When I want to whiten my teeth, I just use peroxide on a Q-tip, and keep it away from the root area. The root area is so much softer than the enamel part of the tooth, it erodes much faster. My dentist told me that the root area will not get rebuilt, as it is not enamel, and that is indeed what has happened. I might someday have to get the root areas bonded if they erode very severely, because then they can't hold the teeth in very well.

3x a day is too much brushing in my opinion, esp with a mechanical brush.

Water pics are also very good at getting stuff out of the pockets.

Yes, CS can make the teeth grayer, so I hear.

kathryn