To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 1:23 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Blue hair??

Neville wrote:
Morning List,
If silver is suspected of showing up under the nails turning the moons blue, or whatever other colour, then what would we expect to see in our hair? Would one expect to see the hair on our heads, and/or arms and legs turning colour, or the roots of the hair showing colour perhaps? Surely it must manifest itself in hair colour also in some manner. I don't believe I have read anything regarding that proposition anywhere. Just curious!!
I have heard that the use of colloidal silver directly on the hair can cause it to darken. But that is really not the same thing.
If it doesn't show in the actual hair, then it must surely show at the skin area around the roots or follicles. These areas would be just as susceptable or 'delicate' as the moons I would think. I also haven't read anywhere yet about any interaction between CS and melanin either, and melanin is associated with hair. If there is any info out there it may be worth sharing. I'm curious!!
Good questions. I am not aware of any instances of hair, or the roots of hair becoming stained with silver use. Part of the reason may be that often the hair is brown or black anyway, so such would not be easy to see. But another reason may simply be that hairs are disbursed widely over a large area, such that any silver capture for putting in the hairs simply does not reach a high enough concentration for significant aggregation. As far as getting into the hair, there is no doubt that silver makes it into the hair, hair is used as a standard test for silver and other metals because the body accumulated and transfers it to the hair. But I don't think it likely that silver particles could grow enough to be gray in the hair because if they are that large, they are immobile and thus would be stuck at the follicle, and never make it into the hair. Also there may be silver accumulation of larger particles down in the follicles, but it is so deep, it cannot be seen.

Marshall