[I tried to reply to this thread a few days ago, but it never showed up in
my email.  Sorry if you guys get this twice (or three times)!]

I will chime in on the steroid thing, only because I've been researching it
for over a year.  Yes, steroids in the doses that were studied are dangerous
for long term use - they used very high doses.  But your body makes many
steroids and if you replace just what your body would normally be making,
then there is no fear of immune suppression, stunted growth or any other of
the 'bad' side effects.  Estrogen, Testosterone, Progesterone, Aldosterone,
DHEA, and Cortisol are all steroid hormones that your body makes and needs
in appropriate doses!

Cortisol is needed for nearly all body functions, and asthma has been linked
to low levels of this hormone.  I had my husband's, son's and my cortisol
levels tested and we were all low.  I didn't test my daughter at the time
because she was only 2 and wouldn't spit in a tube!  But I would assume
based on her asthma and a few other things, that her cortisol is low as
well.  This low cortisol level can be caused by many things, including as
you mentioned fungal infections.

A year ago I was very scared of steroids, like most people are.  But with
much research I have found that they can be quite safe in the low doses your
body would normally make anyway.  I've been taking Cortisol (Cortef) for
about a year now and I've never felt better.  My levels were low, and seeing
how cortisol is the only hormone that you would actually die without, it
seems appropriate that replacing what your body would normally make would be
a good thing!

When under stress, the body is supposed to make what would be considered
excess cortisol.  This is what is supposed to happen in the short term!
Cortisol is a big part of the immune system.  The problem lies in the fact
that we are under such huge amounts of stress from the foods we eat, to
pollution, to EMF's, infections, and on and on, that our bodies don't have a
chance to stop the excess cortisol production!  Over time, the adrenal
glands can't keep up and cortisol prodcution decreases.  This is what is
considered adrenal fatigue.
http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp is one of the best
explainations of this process of high, then low cortisol/adrenal fatigue I
have found!

I would recommend that everyone read William McK. Jeffries, MD's book 'Safe
Uses of Cortisol' to get a good understanding of how cortisol works.  You
can read exerpts online.  (Here's one
http://livingnetwork.co.za/hormones/adrenal-fatigue/cortisone/)  The book is
out of print, but can be purchased at
http://www.ccthomas.com/details.cfm?P_ISBN13=9780398075002 for $43.95.  You
may be able to find it in a library as well, but I'm not sure many would
carry it!

BTW, my daughter is doing much better.  I've alternated the CS and meds
(steroids and broncodilators) and she is much better.  Still coughing, but
she sounds and acts like she feels better!  I give her Vitamins - B-complex
and C - as well as Sea Salt to strengthen her adrenal glands/immune system.
It has lengthened the time between attacks - it used to be every 6 weeks,
but it's been 6 months since her last attack!  Yea!  She doesn't have the
type of asthma that she needs an inhaler for.  She has allergy induced,
acute, severe attacks.  Much more interesting to deal with since we never
know when it's going to happen!  She's had 6 attacks in the last year - like
I said initially it was every 6 weeks, but it's now been 6 months since her
last one.  I'm building her adrenal glands slowly but surely!  Since she is
young, her body is more likely to respond to just giving it what it needs to
make the steroid hormones as opposed to simply just giving her the hormone.

Anyway, don't discount the importance of steroids.  Just know that low doses
that your body would normally make will make you feel better and boost your
immune system!  I am living proof of that!  :-)

Gina