its not the gum Dave.  Xylitol is very deadly to dogs.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-03-18-xylitol-sweetener_N.htm

  1.
     snopes.com: Xylitol Deadly to Dogs
     May 16, 2007 ... Can the sugar substitute Xylitol be harmful to dogs?
     www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp - Cached - Similar pages
  2.
     Popular sweetener is toxic for dogs - USATODAY.com
A sugar substitute found in a variety of sugar-free and dietetic cookies, mints and chewing gum is proving highly toxic, even fatal, to snack-snatching ... www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-03-18-xylitol-sweetener_N.htm - Cached - Similar pages
  3.
     Xylitol kills dogs! So kill the Xylitol in YOUR diet! | PetMD
I think it's great that you are trying to make people aware of the dangers of xylitol to dogs, and I will certainly be more aware of where I place my purse, ...
     www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2009/May/26 - Cached - Similar pages
  4.
     Dog Owner Alert Email - Xylitol Sweetener Toxic to Dogs
Dec 5, 2006 ... Email forward claims that dogs can become critically ill or die after eating sugar-free gum or other products that contain the sweetener ...
     www.hoax-slayer.com/xylitol-dog-warning.shtml - Cached - Similar pages
  5.
     How to Avoid Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs: The Xylitol Sugar ...
Xylitol toxicity in dogs can be deadly. Xylitol is a sweetener used in gum and candy and Xylitol can kill a dog by triggering a drop in blood sugar. petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_avoid_xylitol_poisoning_in_dogs - Cached - Similar pages
  6.
     Xylitol Dogs Toxicity
It had been previously reported that only large quantities of Xylitol would harm dogs. However, recent reports suggest that quantities as low as two sticks ... www.healingspringsanimalhospital.com/2006_08.htm - Cached - Similar pages
  7.
     Xylitol Toxic to Dogs. | The Pet Dish - syracuse.com
Dr. Dunayer also stated that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs. ...
     blog.syracuse.com/pets/2008/08/post_27.html - Cached - Similar pages
  8.
     Cases of xylitol poisoning in dogs rise - October 1, 2006
To learn more about xylitol ingestion in dogs, turn to page 1113 for "Acute hepatic failure and coagulopathy associated with xylitol ingestion in eight dogs ...
     www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/oct06/061001b.asp - Cached - Similar pages
  9.
     I Need More Cowbell *: Xylitol: Sugarless Gum Can Kill Your Dog
Dogs metabolize Xylitol much differently than we humans do. We process the stuff slowly. Dogs' bodies metabolize it all once. Xylitol tricks the dog's body ... needcowbell.blogspot.com/.../xylitol-sugarless-gum-can-kill-your-dog.html - Cached - Similar pages
 10.
     [PDF]
     Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a
     File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
dogs, intravenous xylitol caused a dose-related release ..... travenously administered xylitol in dogs. Metabolism 1966;15:1149- ... www.aspcapro.org/animal-poison-control/.../ze-vetm0207f_095-100_.pdf - Cached - Similar pages
     by EK Dunayer - 2006 - Cited by 3 - Related articles - All 5 versions

Dave Darrin wrote: By what method does it do that? I have read that chocolate does the same and my dog loves it, with no noticeable problems. Since I also sweeten with Xzlitol I would suspect he has eaten some from precleaning my dishes. Are you sure it wasn't the gum that killed the dog?
I would really like to know.
Dave