Jeff,

You need to remove electrodes from water at regular intervals to clean them,
manually switching polarity on these battery units is really more about
providing even wear on both electrodes instead of working off only one, wiping
clean the electrodes is the important thing with these units.  I set a timer
for 30 minutes and remove electrodes to wipe clean and switch polarity (to
maintain that even wear on both electrodes), takes me 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get
ppm I'm satisfied with (dependant on numerous variables of course), but having
said that, I only use my old battery unit in an emergency, other times I use
the more conventional unit.

I consider battery units are still good units, I just don't use one to produce
large quantities, and if you do, you'll need to incorporate some form of
stirring method.  Ideas for magnetic stirrers are available in the public
domain, old computer parts, cost nothing, I've made several.  You can make your
own stirrer bar as well, but I didn't trust mine so bought some, they're cheap
anyway.

Meters are accurate enough for me being a home producer, at least they tell me
SOMETHING is in the water, and they'll also tell me when the solution has
stabilized, but remember, readings will go down in the days following
production til stabilization of solution has been reached.

New production vessels can contain residual contamination from manufacture
also, which may affect the end result.  I don't bother washing them out, the
first batch can be sacrificed and used on external open wounds or animals
anyway if I'm not happy with end result.

N.