>From an old post of mine.  I'll just leave it all in and give credit where
credit is due...

When I started looking into how to make CS one of the main problems I
encountered was how to customize my setup for the materials I might have
access to, how to tell when the CS was done, and what concentration it was.

As a starting point Bob Lee, in his post of 4-11-98, gives a very valuable
discussion of Faraday’s equation for electrolysis which indicates how much
silver is freed from the electrode during electrolysis. Add to this Mike
Monett’s experiments indicating that low voltage / very low current setups
allow one to make CS with a single 9v battery and a series resistor,
providing for nearly linear operation of the cell, and dispensing with the
need for stirring. (Thanks Bob and Mike.)

Also, perhaps it is more correct to call this EIS (electrically isolated
silver) rather than CS (colloidal silver) since it is apparently much more
ionic than colloidal.

This post is not essentially different from one of Mike’s but is put in a
form where I can more intuitively understand what is involved in the
calculations.

For our purposes, there are three formulas that apply to the calculation of
this process.

The other equations are merely conversion factors which convert from ounces
to grams to mg to liters, etc.

*How much silver is liberated during the reaction?

1.  Faraday’s equation for electrolysis

m = k*I*t

where:

m = mass in grams

k = electrochemical equivalent = 0.001118

I = current in amps

t = time in seconds

This formula tells us exactly how much silver was liberated from the
electrode (anode) and is determined by k = a constant, I = current, and t =
time.

[You can ignore this – just use the constant.

“k”, the electrochemical equivalent, is derived from the chemical equivalent
for silver which is the atomic weight in grams of silver divided by the
valence number times the number of coulombs (ampseconds) required to
liberate this amount of silver:

k = atomic weight of silver / valence # * coulombs to liberate

= 107.88/1*96500

= 107.88/96500

= 0.001118

This is from Bob Lee’s post of 4-11-98]

Conversion factors:

Sec = hrs*3600 ;convert hours to seconds

I = ma/1000 ;convert milliamps to amps

So, the variables for this equation are the amount of current and the time
of the reaction.

*What is the concentration of the liberated silver in the volume of
distilled water?

2.  ppm = mg/lt

where:

ppm = concentration of silver in parts per million

mg = milligrams of liberated silver

lt = liter of distilled water

The concentration is determined by the amount of liberated silver (from
equation #1) per volume of distilled water used.

Conversion factors:

mg = gm*1000 ;convert grams to milligrams

ml = 29.57*oz ;convert ounces to milliliters

lt = ml/1000 ;convert milliliters to liters

The variables for this equation are the amount of liberated silver and the
volume of distilled water used.

*The current density at the electrodes (anode).

3.  den = I/sqin

where:

den = current density in Amps per square inch of anode surface area

I = current in Amps

sqin = surface area of electrode (anode) in square inches

Conversion factors:

[for wire electrode]

Sqin = pi*d*l ;surface area = pi*diameter of anode*length of anode

d = .08081 in ;for 12 gage wire

d = .06408 in ;for 14 gage wire

[For 12 gage wire, 1 square inch = approximately 4 linear inches.]

[For 14 gage wire, 1 square inch = approximately 5 linear inches.]

The variables for current density are the surface area of the electrode
(anode) and the current in Amps.

You can have any length of electrode you want. For equation 1 and 2 it
doesn’t matter. What does matter about the current density, as was shown by
Mike Monett, is when the current density is very low, about .080ma/sqin then
the process can be made nearly linear and there are apparently few losses of
the liberated silver due to agglomeration or plating at the cathode. An
additional benefit is that stirring is apparently not required. Also,
current limiting can be accomplished by a simple series resistor of the
correct value.

*To calculate the correct resistor, Ohms law:

[OK, here’s a fourth equation to calculate the needed series resistor ;-]

4. R = E/I ; Resistance in ohms = Voltage / Current

Verify the current in circuit with a milliammeter or measure voltage across
the resistor and calculate:

I = E/R ;Current in Amps = Voltage / Resistance in ohms

I would recommend that one calculate the maximum amount of current allowable
for their electrodes for very low current CS where den = less than
.08ma/sqin for example. Just don’t exceed that current for your setup.

Special thanks to Bob Lee and Mike Monett.

Dan