Dan writes:
> One problem is that after performing a search and finding the correct
> post, there appears to be no way to refer to that post so that others
> can go read it.  The only thing I have found is to repeat the original
> search criteria.

It's a web page, Dan, and has a unique URL that won't change in the
future. The only way I know of to send it to the list or somebody else
is to copy and paste that URL into a mail message:

http://www.mail-archive.com/silver-list@eskimo.com/msg132370.html

That's the link to your post in the archives.

Now you might have the display of the URL window turned off in your
browser... In Firefox, that's activated by clicking View > Toolbars >
and making sure that Addres and Search is checkmarked.

There are also several options in the right-click menu for the page
that would give you access to the web page address.

I haven't used MS Internet Explorer for years, so you'd have to find
that for yourself... But it's just a cut and paste to put the web link
in an e-mail like this.

> Searched for (found) posts should have some sort of identification
> that can be re-entered by another person so they can find the specific
> post in the archives.

The message number just before the .html part is a handy shorthand for
it, since the rest of the format doesn't change, but for the sake of
communications, you'd want to send somebody the full link.

Now, if anyone can suggest another mechanism you can use to do the job,
I'd be interested to hear it.

Be well,

Mike D.

Archives: