If you observe the erosion patterns of rectangular flat electrodes, you'll see for sure that that's not true.

Round wire only has one edge at the tip and it sharpens to a gradual needle point...then the point erodes up the length of the wire. Increase the distance between the points and it forces the rest of the wire to be the path of least resistance..or..get the tip out of the water so it can't discharge anything.

Like with magnetic forces, distance squared rules apply.
A wire that's twice the diameter will have about 4 times the leading surface discharge. A flat surface, about 4 times less discharge for every increment from the facing center.

"Field effect" plays a big role in how electrons and ions discharge and points concentrate fields making them the path of least resistance.
  Transmitter antennas, lightning rods , arc lamps....etc.....

Often there is a ball at the end of a rod to un-point a point.
Curling the end of a wire onto itself hides the end within the field..making an effective ball.

ode

With two 'flat' surfaces electricity will find it harder to find 'edges' or 'high spots' and silver will tend to be 'stripped' from the *entire* surface of the electrodes more evenly, rather than be concentrated at any of those perceived high points.

I guess it could be said that round wire electrodes have two 'high spots' also, the length of the two sides of the electrodes directly opposing each other...but then ya can't win em all <g>.

N.