> Mike, awesome job on the archives!

Thank you Alan,

You write:
> But I have a question, this seems like a bug.  When I'm viewing a
> message in the archives, at the top of the page there's a "Date" link
> and a "Thread" link.  I was expecting that when I click "Date", for
> example, that I'd go to a page showing posts sorted by date, but the
> date context would include the previously viewed post.  For example, I
> was just looking at an email from Nov 1999; when I click "Date" I
> expected to see more emails in that timeframe, instead it went to the
> most recent posts.

Not a bug so much as a limitation. The date and thread indexes are
limited to the most recent 3000 or so posts. I believe this is to keep
the generation of index pages from bogging down due to the size of the
index file... (My speculation based on what has been said by the owners
at various times in my working with them.)

When you're looking at that post from 1999, there are links to
next/last post by date/thread plus at least a partial list of the other
posts in the thread, near the bottom of the page. All of those work as
expected; it's just that there isn't a date or thread index page for
that time.

One of my hopes is to either bring the archiving in-house or else build
a local date/thread index file from their database so we can have a
complete set of indices for navigation.

Be well,

Mike D.

Archives: