Heya Sol,

The presence or absence of read reciept requests from anybody has now
been rendered moot by a global setting that strips such headers from
all mail to the list.

It is always possible that some new abberation of e-mail protocols will
cause problems or annoyances in the future, but at least the 3
different versions of such requests that I know about are now being
automatically stripped.

Generally it is poor etiquette to indiscriminately subject others to
such requests. Most competent mail programs or systems will allow you
to completely (and silently) ignore such requests. Those of you being
subjected to pop-ups are being harassed needlessly by your own
software. You should be able to configure your setup to ignore them and
not bother you at all.

Just as important, though, is that no well designed system should make
it so inconvenient to turn the request feature on and off that someone
like PT would be reluctant to accommodate the preferences of his
recipients on an individual basis.

Under the old configuration, if PT was unwilling or unable to turn off
requests, I would have been forced to exclude them from participation
in the list. Being able to quickly and easily solve the issue by
technical means, allows us the luxury of ignoring the issue instead.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner

Sol writes:
> oops!  once again I should have caught completely up on the list before
> replying..............sheesh, But does this mean both PTs email receipt
> requests have been turned off for this list AND the global settings for
> the silverlist also will stop future requests from others? or just that
> the change in silverlist settings worked, but the receipt requests are
> still attached to PTs emails? (not cirticizing or carping, I want to
> know for my own information, thanks) sol

Archives: