Katheryn,
May I ask a question about mold?
I  smelt mold under my bed and in my new closet that I just had built last year.  A friend of mine who lived in Florida, said the mold smell is from places without any air circulation.  When I keep the closet doors open ..no smell, likewise when I moved the bed no smell.
She suggested charcoal briquets, I am using them no more smell in the closet and I can keep the doors closed likewise under the bed.
My question, are they safe to use???
I have researched them and when burning they have a toxic chemical and they say not to use as I have but I used activated charcoal I acquired from the Pet store it did nothing.
Also I had so much condensation in  my greenhouse it stopped it immediately.
Mary

-------------- Original message from Kathryn Clayton <clay...@skypoint.com>: --------------

Bad idea, Renee, if they have a lot of mold- mold usually releases toxins when it dies, and sometimes those can be seriously dangerous. It is recommended to remove, not kill mold, to prevent that.

I have used a variety of things to detoxify ambient mold and/or toxins after removal. My criteria for effectiveness was my personal sensitivity.

Last time I checked chlorine in any form was not effective in killing mold - it bleaches it, but does not kill more than the surface mold, which is why removal is so important. It is also not so easy to find the hidden reservoirs, if that is what is making her sick.  It is possible more info has come out in the last couple of years that i have not heard about;  I am aware of some controversy around the chlorine use also.

Best wishes,    Kathryn