Hi Del,

I live in northern California, the western Lyme capital, so I'm very
familiar with Lyme disease and the protocols.

First, DON'T wait for a month til they do a test; if the health care
providers you've contacted don't seem to know much about Lyme - they
probably don't!  The usual test is called the Western Blot test, and
it's not particularly accurate, giving about 15% false negatives.
Particularly if a person has been infected with the spirochete for less
than three months it's about useless, the infection doesn't show up, and
even after that it's easy to miss detection.

So you're right, go after it right away, and don't count on the test
results to tell you if she {still} has it.  Also it isn't so common; not
every tick bite will carry Lyme or Bartonella; no percentages on this,
especially in that neck of the woods, but it's not a sure thing by a
long shot.

One of the best antibiotics recommended for Lyme (Borrelia Burgdorferii)
is Bactrim DS  (DS for double strength), another brand is Septra; its
generic name is Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim, and there is a very small
chance your wife may have a reaction to it.  Not many do, but be aware
that very occasionally someone will.  It's possible to find sources for
this antibiotic online  without a prescription or you may be able to get
it from a doc who is more familiar with the whole Lyme scene.  If it
were me - and it has been - I would take two Bactrim DS per day for AT
LEAST ten days.  If I'd shown the characteristic rash around the bite
area I'd definitely do it for thirty days minimum.

You can also take CS by mouth, about an ounce every couple of hours for
the first day or so, then slow down to maybe three or four glugs a day
and one more just before bed;  This will help, but the ABX are critical.

HTH,
Malcolm