http://www.jstor.org/pss/3283916

Hi Ken, suggest you check out this link, recent experimental work on
transfer of B. Burgorferi between ticks, host animals, and humans. Also,
if you have the link to your source re. 'gestation' of the bug in
ticks,I'd be very interested in checking it out for my own info.  Around
here the tick is the black-legged, or ixodes pacificus - you probably
have ixodes scapularis in your neck of the woods.

Take care,
Malcolm