From: Tony Moody [mailto:a...@new.co.za]
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:41 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: CS>anti-microbial???

Hi Tom,

I have a small jar of  Sodium chlorite flakes. This is a dry crystalline
product. I seem to remember that is is assayed at 28%.

How do I make a 5% solution from this?

Say I want 1 litre of 5% NaClO
1 litre  = 1000g
and 5% x 1000 = 5/100 x 1000 = 50
so I need 50 g of actual NaClO in 1 litre water to have a 5% solution.
Yes?

Now the Sod Chlorite flakes only has 28% NaClO .
ie There is 0.28 g of NaClO per 1 gram of flakes
So to get 50g NaClO I need 50/0.28 = 179 gram of flakes

ie 180 g flakes in 1 litre water = 5% solution

Or is being too simple ?

Ok, rusty
Tony

On 28 Aug 2010 at 14:36, Tom Poast wrote about :

> Hello PT,
>
> Another option is to use a sodium chlorite solution.
>
> An excellent mouthwash can be made by adding 16 ml of 5% sodium chlorite
> to 500 ml of water. After brushing, rinse your toothbrush off with water
> then dip it into the mouthwash solution and let it air dry. After brushing
> and rinsing, take a mouthful of the mouth wash and swish for 30 - 60
> seconds, then spit it out. You can add a drop of cinnamon or mint if you
> want a more "zestful" taste.
>
> This solution is technically called chlorous acid, but its PH is actual
> neutral or slightly alkaline. When the solution encounters acids in the
> mouth, or on your toothbrush, trace amounts of chlorine dioxide are
> released that the pathogens are killed off. The nice thing about this is
> that activation only occurs as needed. If there are no germs, no chlorine
> dioxide is produced.This reduces oxidative stress, but I am not sure that
> is much of an issue inside the mouth.
>
> If you donĀ“t want to make your own solution, commercial products are
> available. You would search on mouthwash with sodium chlorite in it.
>
> Tom

Archives: