Actually, the regrettable "research" takes place mostly in Antarctica I
believe.   I'm not sure whether it has any significant bearing on kelp harvest
around coastal Japan.

The whale meat, which I've seen in the grocery, has almost no market;  it's
baffling that the whalers persist in this, and that the government backs them.
The meat itself is full of mercury.  Informed people know that it's dangerous
to eat.