In a message dated 11/2/2012 8:02:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
highfie...@internode.on.net writes:

Cracked & brittle nails do you  think this is always a fungal problem? I
just thought it was hereditary?  My toe nails are totally crippled & awful-
only moons anywhere on hands or  feet are on the thumbs, which are very
vertically ridged so much so they often  split - again I assumed with was
hereditary?  Biotin hasn't really helped  yet. Any suggestions?  (homeopathy
hasn't
helped either  with Causticum & Graphites)
   I was hoping that  diatomaceous earth might help but I so rarely have
cold drinks I haven't  really started taking it yet.  Jane

Hi Jane, when I got cancer, my fingernails were very soft  & would break
off easly-- I did a search & found that { I know sounds  crazy }--that wearing
sandstone would strengthen fingernails.. I went out  in the field & found
some sandstone & drilled a hole in a small piece  & wore it as a necklace. {
still do }...My nails are very strong It took  about a month for them to
change.  Here are a few sites I found during my  search.-- Lois
1-_Discovery  Health "How Fingernails Work"_
(http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/nail-care/health/fingernails.htm)
-----2- _Slide show: 7
fingernail  problems not to ignore - MayoClinic.com_
(http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00055)  -----3- _What  Causes Ridges
in Fingernails and What
You Can Do About Them - Yahoo! Voic_
(http://voices.yahoo.com/what-causes-ridges-fingernails-can-782677.html?cat=70)