Very interesting post. Apparently Australia is pretty much the last "clean" country, but they reckon it's only a matter of time before the mite shows up. This was on TV recently.

Repeat info, but apparently our Jarrah honey has tested as being even more effective than Manuka honey. I was told this by my honey supplier, who will be charging more for it next season. But you might be interested in a few links on the topic:

http://www.jarrahhoneyinfo.com/media.php
Ms Irish said remarkably, multiply-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (Golden Staph) was particularly sensitive to honey, with minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIH) of five per cent (w/v) or less. The MIH is the lowest amount of honey it takes to stop the growth of the microorganism. Ms Irish said four honeys were tested: Jarrah honey, Medihoney, a Leptospermum honey, and an artificial honey. All three floral honeys significantly reduced biofilm formation at a concentration of one per cent (w/v), and completely prevented biofilm formation at five per cent (w/v).

http://www.jarrahhoneyinfo.com/Jarrah-Honey.pdf

http://www.gumtreeapiary.com/jarrah-honey.htm

http://elixirrawhoney.com.au/our-products/jarrah-honey

http://www.fewstersfarmhoney.com.au/?page=46
Jarrah honey has been tested for antimicrobial properties in New Zealand using the same test as Manuka honey ( please click on test procedures below for more information ) Fewsters Farm Jarrah honey is greater (2013 test results TA+38.1) than most Manuka honey
http://www.fewstersfarmhoney.com.au/?section=mailinglist&action=view_newsletter&id=14
Jarrah honey has been recognized as Australias best honey for over 10 years .

http://www.lemondetox.com.au/product/185/499/WAActiveJarrahHoney.html

Conclusive research by the Government Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia, has determined the special antimicrobial properties of*Jarrah honey*. The antimicrobial quality is measured by the term of 'Total Activity' (TA).*Active Jarrah honey* is strongly antimicrobial* and scientific laboratories measure and rank its activity.
/
*Reported as having a Total Activity of 30.2% (w/v) phenol equivalent in 'Honey has an antifungal effect against Candida species' (2006). Medical Mycology 44, 289-291./ Jarrah honey has significantly higher activity levels than Manuka honey from New Zealand, which is also strongly antibacterial*

Jarrah honey has assisted in the treatment of horses with excessive amounts of sand in their stomachs - Sand Colic - (the sand apparently can cause severe illness, even death). Jarrah honey is mixed with the equine feed such as bran and picks up the sand to assist in natural passing through the intestine. This treatment seems to work better than psyllium treatments.