Hi Mike,

I believe it is because our emails are not so easily accessible to the
general public. The simple barriers of an email list are enough to keep out
the vast majority of would-be trouble makers, because in the 'information
age' there are ever increasing volumes of low hanging fruit that can be
targeted easier than this list.

Another issue is anonymity. Using aliases, avatars, etc. was a great way to
protect ourselves online, and still is. However, establishing anonymity is
a technical / convenience barrier for some participants. IMHO email lists
such as this provide a similar feeling and/or function with less hassle.
Thus it encourages more free speech, sharing, etc.

Unfortunately the shield of anonymity is being aggressively attacked by
 Google, Facebook, and others, as they seek to exploit our identities and
activities for monetary gain. Google's attempts are especially devious.
Apple is perhaps the only company that aggressively protects our
identities, and they are under constant pressure from advertisers,
investors, and developers to release more information. In any case, these
email lists remain outside the scope of those happenings.

I use various forms of communication, and I think they are all helpful in
some way. We need to get this info out to the world, and we also need a
safe and easy way to discuss it.

Thanks for your efforts.