Yes, pesticides and a particular mite appear to be the main culprit for
bees, although there are other factors as well. Bees do best fed honey, but
have also done well for generations with some sugar water supplementation
when flowers were scarce. With all the other issues making life difficult
for them, it makes sense that honey vs. sugar water could make a significant
difference for them.

As for hummers, they certainly survive without being fed, but it does
seem-at least in areas of the world where flowers with significant nectar
are somewhat scarce-that you end up with a larger population if you make
feed available each season. I'm not aware of any research or evidence to
indicate sugar water (sucrose) supplementation hurts them, and anecdotal
evidence seems to suggest otherwise. That said, I would expect flower nectar
is best for them. They still go to flowers for nectar when a feeder is
available (they show up at the feeder mostly in morning and evening when
less flowers are open). And they keep scooping up small insects. They're fun
to watch, and the more insect eaters around the better (no spray around
here).

Last year we found we had to put the cat's food away between meals to avoid
feeding our yellow jacket wasp explosion (picture cat food dish crawling
with 10-15 yellow jackets from dawn to dusk). The dogs would grab their
hunks of fish and run, hoping to avoid the yellow jackets' company during
their meal :) When unsuccessful at that, they spent more time growling and
snapping at the yellow jackets than eating their food.