Dee, There are others on this list who may be better able to address the
kidney infection but..  if your hubby has had lots
of antibiotics, he should be taking a decent quality probiotic to
repopulate his gut flora, as often as 3 - 4-
5 times per day.

If the kidney infection is coming from bacteria, ck out D-Mannose, a
harmless sugar that 'slicks up' the uretha,
bladder, etc. It keeps the bacteria from clinging to the urinary tract.
 Don't have a clue if it would be helpful for your
hubby's condition or not.  And of course, he should be drinking lots of
water to keep well-hydrated.

There is also a product called Nature's Lining by Lane Labs that is
exemplary at restoring the mucosa
lning the intestines and especially the stomach which naturally thins as
we age (like everything else..lol).
I was given antibiotics like crazy after multiple surgeries in one year and
my gut/stomach felt like I was
eating ground glass after a time.  Just a few bottles of the Nature's
Lining took care of the discomfort
and I haven't had to use it since.  Some folks take it all the time tho.
Lola H.