I use flat strips and coins ( silver eagles) I cut a small slot through the
coin and thread the strip through it and fold it back together so there are
no alligator clips and the whole coin and about two inches of the strip are
in the water.
 The reason for strips vs the wire is the coins are easier to keep aligned
(almost impossible with wire).
Dave