Try first with store-bought seltzer water (make sure it doesn't have
tonic, etc. in it).  If you like it, there's the SodaStream consumer
unit.  Simple to use but of course you buy their refill tanks at a
premium.  Not bad for one person who doesn't need a LOT of water.

For our quantity, the regulator made sense.

For a whole group of people, a carbonation machine isn't all that
expensive if you look around.  Those make something like 100
liters/minute for soda fountains.