Nenah,

The electrodes I use in my DIY water ionizer, and in good commercial
ionizers, are titanium coated with Platinum (not Palladium).  You can find
them on Amazon, for example, by searching for Platinized Titanium Anodes.
They are expensive but necessary to be non-reactive in the electrolytic
process.

By the way, research in the last few years now shows the beneficial benefit
of water ionizers is NOT that they make the water more alkaline.  It IS
because they  infuse (dissolve) Hydrogen into the water.  Asian countries
are ahead of the US in producing efficient Hydrogen Infusion Machines (HIM),
and there are now some commercial ones on the market, but they are
expensive.  The good ionizers also use what is called a Proton Exchange
Membrane (also used in fuel cells) to ensure only Hydrogen gets infused into
the water.  The resulting product has a pH of about 7, the same as untreated
water.  The concentration of Hydrogen in water is quite low - on the order
of 1 PPM, and the Hydrogen dissipates out of the water fairly quickly
(hours), so the product needs to be drunk soon after it is made.

The best web site I have found to explain the health benefits of Hydrogen
Infused Water is  <http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/>
http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/  .  Another good site is
<http://h2healthyliving.com/> http://h2healthyliving.com/ .

Steve