I just took a dentist's deposition and thought this excerpt might be of
interest to those interested in fibromyalgia.

10      A.   Fibromyalgia syndrome is a disorder generally
11 associated with autoimmune problems.  It was first
12 officially recognized by the American Rheumatology
13 Association back in the late 1980s.  And it's considered to
14 be a disorder as defined by eleven out of 18 points in the
15 body; exquisitely tender oftentimes associated with
16 temporomandibular problems.  That is why I see many, many
17 people with this.
18          It's usually always associated with a sleep
19 disorder, fatigue, tiredness, problems.  The exact cause, I
20 believe, is still under debate.  For many, many years it
21 was considered just a bunch of women that were complaining,
22 because it's largely seen in women due to the fact that
23 there's probably a relationship due to estrogen and
24 serotonin reuptake throughout the body.
25          Now there is some brand-new evidence that is just

                                                 Page 13
  1 in that there may be a relationship with this also because
 2 of heavy-metal toxicity and a viral component that's
 3 causing it.  Trauma oftentimes triggers it, but we don't
 4 know how to explain this exactly, why it happens.  Perhaps
 5 the trauma and the pain depresses the autoimmune system,
 6 this is there in the background, and the fibromyalgia
 7 becomes a significant factor.
 8     Q.   You had made a reference earlier that you see
 9 fibromyalgia in patients a significant number of times and
10 they will have the TMJ complaint.  Are you aware of any
11 percentages where you look at fibromyalgia patients and
12 what percent of those have TMJ complaints?
13     A.   One particular article I am familiar with, I
14 believe, states close to 50 percent of people with fibro-
15 myalgia will have a temporomandibular disorder.  This is
16 the article I'm quoting from.  And you may want to put this
17 in as an exhibit.  I don't know if the numbers are in this
18 particular one.  I don't see a percentage here.  Okay.
19 Chronic headaches are seen in about 50 percent of the
20 fibromyalgia-type patients.
21          And they are talking in here about causes.  They
22 are saying a few examples would be an infection, viral or
23 bacterial, that may be one that may be a trigger for it or
24 background for it.  An automobile accident or development
25 of another disorder such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or

                                                 Page 14
  1 hypothyroidism.  They are saying here the triggering events
 2 probably don't cause the fibromyalgia, they may awaken an
 3 underlying physiologic abnormality that may be present.
 4 That is what I think I said or tried to say in a little
 5 different terms a few minutes ago.